[CentOS] Advice sought: Virtual Win7 on Centos 6.2

Sat Jan 7 01:35:45 UTC 2012
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 01/06/2012 04:28 PM, Digimer wrote:
> On 01/06/2012 05:17 PM, david wrote:
>> Folks
>>
>> I have a new laptop running Centos 6.2 64-bit.  I'd like to put a
>> virtual machine running Windows 7 (licensed), with full audio/video
>> functions, and good response.  Which virtual system would you
>> recommend?  I can think of KVM, or VirtualBox, or ...?
>>
>> The "good response" requirement pretty much excludes a web-style
>> video presentation.
>>
>> Opinions solicited.
>>
>> David Kurn
> I have great performance with KVM running windows guests using the
> virtio storage drivers. Below is how I do it (on clusters, normally, but
> should be easy to adapt for a single-machine host):
>
> https://alteeve.com/w/2-Node_Red_Hat_KVM_Cluster_Tutorial#Provisioning_vm0004-ms

I would second using KVM via virt-manager, shifting to the virtio driver
for disk (you can also use the virtio net driver), and using spice (and
spicy) instead of KVM to connect to the KVM machine.  All sound works
fine with spice, and the video is also quite nice.  I did an article on
the Wiki for spice:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Spice-libvirt

Here are articles on how to use the virtio disk and network devices:

http://www.linux-kvm.com/content/redhat-54-windows-virtio-drivers-part-2-block-drivers

http://www.linux-kvm.com/content/tip-how-setup-windows-guest-paravirtual-network-drivers