[CentOS] centos6.2, parted and alignment

Mon Jan 9 18:37:55 UTC 2012

John R Pierce wrote:
> I have a large raid (lsi megaraid sas2 9261-8i card) and when I use
> parted to initialize it as the one big partition I want, it gives me a
> warning.
<snip>
>      # parted -a optimal /dev/sda "mkpart primary 128s -1s"
>      Warning: You requested a partition from 65.5kB to 81.0TB.
>      The closest location we can manage is 65.5kB to 81.0TB.
>      Is this still acceptable to you?
>      Yes/No? yes
>      Warning: The resulting partition is not properly aligned for best
> performance.
>      Ignore/Cancel? i
>      Information: You may need to update /etc/fstab.
<snip>
If *anyone* has the answer to this, I want to know. Or maybe we should
just file a bug against parted, which ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY does *not*
want to a) align it for best performance, or b) *TELL* you what you need
to align it.

Using gparted (GUIs, why did it have to be GUIs), you at least don't get
that idiot warning.

      mark