[CentOS] SELinux and access across 'similar types'

Wed Jan 11 16:53:10 UTC 2012
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On Wednesday, January 11, 2012 10:47:44 AM m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> I'll have to disagree, Lamar. There *are* large distros: RH & its
> derivatives, SuSE, and Debian & its derivatives (i.e., Ubuntu), and though
> there are kit distros (fedora?), they're more like the Big Three
> automakers of the US, and I can't think of frequent crash&burn reports.

In terms of commercial distributions, I see more of an analogy to REO, Hupmobile, Duesenburg, and Studebaker than the current large automakers.

The history of automobiles and auto manufacturers is educational, even to the 'patent wars' going on (like the Selden two-stroke patent that was overturned in 1911).

Using the auto analogy, I would compare the current state of open source OS's to the dawn of the 'Brass' Age of autos. (We're past the 'veteran' stage, which started roughly about the time Red Hat and SuSE started their respective Enterprise Linux distributions, IMO; prior to that it was most definitely an enthusiast's world).