[CentOS] OT: simple server room temp monitor

Thu Jan 12 04:04:45 UTC 2012
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 9:43 PM, Alan McKay <alan.mckay at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would not have it doing the alerting.
>
> I'd have something poll it and graph the temp so you can see a good graph
> of room temp over time.
>
> And have that same something do the alerting.
>
> But do your servers have sensors too?  You really need to monitor those as
> well because there can be a huge difference in room temp and server temp,
> and there is not always a good coorelation between them.
>
> Munin is a good program for graphing and it has limited alerting that would
> be sufficient for this.

OpenNMS might be overkill here unless you have a lot of other things
to monitor, but it has a reasonable framework for notifications.  I'm
not sure what you'd have to do to get it to see linux host
temperatures but it picks it up from cisco routers and some APC
equipment out of the box.

--
  Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com