[CentOS] anyone doing automatic yum updates via yum-updatesd on production servers?

Wed Jan 18 11:06:53 UTC 2012
John Horne <john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk>

On Tue, 2012-01-17 at 14:42 -0200, Aslan Carlos wrote:

> Good practices is don't update any package on server directly without
> test before.
>
> It's because some update may not full compatible with your configuration.
>
> I do the update first on test server to ensure that update will not
> break my system.
>
> I didn't update directly without test this new package before, so I
> never get troubles on updates to my servers.

I would say that to some extent it depends on what is being updated. If
there is an update to the 'date' command then that could be applied
automatically. But updates, for example, to postfix/sendmail/exim etc on
a mail server, would not be applied by using 'exclude' in the yum.conf
file. These can then be checked and applied manually.

John.

--
John Horne                   Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287
Plymouth University, UK      Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001