[CentOS] Mediatomb under CentOS-6

Wed Jan 18 21:36:28 UTC 2012
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 3:24 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 01/18/12 5:33 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> That's true for DLNA in general whether it is on TVs or other media
>> players because most functions and codecs are optional. The server has
>> to know the device capabilities and often transcode things to match.
>
> DLNA is a big mess.   works OK for audio, stinks for video.   The better
> set top boxes can play video files off SMB/CIFS and that works much
> better., assuming your video files are encoded in a format that the box
> supports (and most such boxes support a wide range of common video
> formats including MKV, M4V/MP4, etc)

You can't really say it doesn't work for video - just that it doesn't
have to support any specific formats.  As long as your content matches
what your player handles, or your server  recognizes the player and
can transcode accordingly, it works fine.  It is 'just' streaming,
though.  I don't think it has a concept that matches dvd menus or
chapters that may work with players that do file mapping and can see
iso or video_ts rips on the server.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com