[CentOS] weird XFS problem

Sun Jan 22 19:40:52 UTC 2012
Boris Epstein <borepstein at gmail.com>

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Miguel Medalha <miguelmedalha at sapo.pt>wrote:

> Nevertheless, it seems to me that you should have more than 3GB of RAM on
> a 64 bit system...
> Since the width of the binary word is 64 bit in this case, 3GB correspond
> to 1.5GB on a 32 bit system...
> If you have a 64 bit system you should give it space to work properly.

Don't worry, you asked exactly the right question - but, unfortunately, it
is not a 32-bit OS here that's the culprit so the situation is more
involved than that.

You are right - it would indeed be desirable to have more than 3 GB of RAM
on that system. However it is not obvious to me that having that little RAM
should cause I/O failure? Why? That it would make the machine slow is to be
expected - and especially so given that I had to jack the swap up to some
40 GB. But I do not necessarily see why I should have outright failures due
solely to not having more RAM.

Boris.