[CentOS] confidence in partitioning tool (6.2)

Mon Jan 30 16:41:52 UTC 2012
Larry Martell <larry.martell at gmail.com>

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 8:41 AM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 8:14 AM, Larry Martell <larry.martell at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I have a Windows 7 laptop that I want to make dual boot with CentOS
>>> 6.2. My plan was to use the Windows Disk Management tool to partition
>>> the disk, but I do not have the needed admin rights on the box to use
>>> that. Has anyone used the partitioning tool that comes with 6.2 to do
> <snip>
>
> Two things: on the one hand, you're familiar with the std. instructions to
> use Windows' defragger before you resize the partitions, correct?

No, I'm really not familiar with anything in Windows. I've managed to
have a 30 year career in software development without ever spending
very much time on Windows.

> On the other... if you don't have admin rights, are you sure you,
> personally, won't get into trouble (I'm assuming this is a work machine)
> for doing this, and, for that matter, that when desktop support checks
> conformance to organization policy, that they won't ghost it back to what
> it was?

This machine was given to me by a client, and I was asked to set up
the dual boot with CentOS. I asked for admin rights under Windows, but
I was told it was against corporate policy to grant them to me. I told
them I was hesitant to try this without first partitioning the disk
under Windows, as I did not want to render it unbootable. They said
they didn't care if that happened, and if it did, just send it back to
them and they'd reinstall Windows (don't ya just love that corporate
mentality ;-)  But that will be a pain, and without the machine I
cannot VPN into their network and get my email and do other things I
need to do.