[CentOS] Question about storage for virtualisation

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Jul 2 16:00:08 UTC 2012

Giles Coochey wrote:
> On 02/07/2012 14:48, Tilman Schmidt wrote:
>> Am 01.07.2012 07:40, schrieb Les Mikesell:
>> [distinction between /bin and /usr/bin]
<nice summary snipped>
> 3) Cheap retail hard drives passed the 100 megabyte mark around 1990, and
> partition resizing software showed up somewhere around there (partition
> magic 3.0 shipped in 1997).

Um, nope. 100M drives weren't "cheap" until well into the nineties.
*Companies* could afford them by '92 or '93. '90? I think it was the
holiday season of '89 that my bosses in the tiny, tiny software co. I
worked for gave us presents, and mine include a *huge* 30M h/d (*way*
bigger than the 20M I had), knowing they'd get use of it, with me working
at home one weekends....
<snip>
> /usr/local was for your specific installation's files.  Then somebody
> decided /usr/local wasn't a good place to install new packages, so let's
> add /opt! I'm still waiting for /opt/local to show up...

Sun added /opt; I think Oracle used it, too, about the same time.

At least here, my manager believes in /usr/local....
<snip>

      mark

> --
> GPLv3: as worthy a successor as The Phantom Menace, as timely as Duke
> Nukem Forever, and as welcome as New Coke.

ROFTL!