[CentOS] installing centos 6 on an old bird

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Thu Jul 12 14:59:30 UTC 2012

On Thursday, July 12, 2012 05:49:50 AM Tim Dunphy wrote:
> > # Turn off SELinux.
> > selinux --disabled
>
> Might want to try that in addition to ripping out the RPMs, tho I'm not
> sure doing both would be necessary.

> Maybe it's the CPU that's having a problem with SELinux under CentOS 6?

Tim,

I think SELinux is a red herring in this case; I'm running upstream RHEL Server 6.3 32-bit with SELinux in enforcing mode on an older Supermicro system (motherboard P4DP6, has a DVD-ROM CD-RW drive in it) with the following CPU:

Handle 0x0004, DMI type 4, 35 bytes
Processor Information
        Socket Designation: CPU1
        Type: Central Processor
        Family: Xeon
        Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
        ID: 27 0F 00 00 FF FB EB BF
        Signature: Type 0, Family 15, Model 2, Stepping 7
        Flags:
                FPU (Floating-point unit on-chip)
                VME (Virtual mode extension)
                DE (Debugging extension)
                PSE (Page size extension)
                TSC (Time stamp counter)
                MSR (Model specific registers)
                PAE (Physical address extension)
                MCE (Machine check exception)
                CX8 (CMPXCHG8 instruction supported)
                APIC (On-chip APIC hardware supported)
                SEP (Fast system call)
                MTRR (Memory type range registers)
                PGE (Page global enable)
                MCA (Machine check architecture)
                CMOV (Conditional move instruction supported)
                PAT (Page attribute table)
                PSE-36 (36-bit page size extension)
                CLFSH (CLFLUSH instruction supported)
                DS (Debug store)
                ACPI (ACPI supported)
                MMX (MMX technology supported)
                FXSR (FXSAVE and FXSTOR instructions supported)
                SSE (Streaming SIMD extensions)
                SSE2 (Streaming SIMD extensions 2)
                SS (Self-snoop)
                HTT (Multi-threading)
                TM (Thermal monitor supported)
                PBE (Pending break enabled)
        Version: Intel(R) Xeon(TM)
        Voltage: 1.6 V
        External Clock: Unknown
        Max Speed: 3000 MHz
        Current Speed: 2800 MHz
        Upgrade: Other
        L1 Cache Handle: 0x000B
        L2 Cache Handle: 0x000C
        L3 Cache Handle: Not Provided
        Serial Number: Not Specified
        Asset Tag: Not Specified
        Part Number: Not Specified

Have you tried using the minimal install iso?  It will fit on a CD.