[CentOS] CentOS6.2: installation at specific kernel level

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Jul 12 16:55:21 UTC 2012

Scott Silva wrote:
> on 7/12/2012 7:08 AM Cal Sawyer spake the following:
>> Hi, all
>>
>> I have a number of machines that are out of sync with one another by
>> virtue of having done a yum update after a base 6.2 install at different
>> times (all were previous CentOS 5.3)  Consequently, systems are a mix of
>> 2.6.32-220.7.1, 2.6.32-220.13.1 or 2.6.32-220.17.1.
>>
>> So 2 questions:
>>    -  Is it possible to perform a yum update (or another other kind of
>> update), specifying installation of, say, kernel 2.6.32-220.17.1 along
>> with the packages that were relevant at the time when 2.6.32-220.17.1
>> was current?
>>    -  Is it possible to capture and save for future installations the
>> current kernel rev and associated packages as exist in the repos today
>> and install as a "frozen-in-time" distribution?
>>
> Why? Old kernels have flaws... That is why a new one was released...

a) production reasons and version control; if something becomes a show
stopper that wasn't found before going live, you need to roll back,
*easily* and *fast* to one known to work; or, on the obverse, if a problem
is discovered, you need to be able to go back and find where it started,
and what it affected (and lawyers could be involved in the latter).

b) because no matter how well you test, you'll likely miss something....

        mark