[CentOS] installing centos 6 on an old bird

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Thu Jul 12 18:04:40 UTC 2012

On Thursday, July 12, 2012 11:16:23 AM Lars Hecking wrote:

> > I think SELinux is a red herring in this case; I'm running upstream RHEL Server 6.3 32-bit with SELinux in enforcing mode on an older Supermicro system (motherboard P4DP6, has a DVD-ROM CD-RW drive in it) with the following CPU:
>
>  The problem with the selinux rpms is that they need copious amounts of RAM
>  during installation. From my experience, a minimum of 0.75 to 1GB.

Tim didn't detail the amount of RAM he had (to the best of my recollection) but my machine of that same age has 4GB, so RAM wasn't an issue here, at least not for the selinux piece.

But that's a good data point, and really should be addressed as part of the system requirements for upstream.... actually, 1GB is the recommended minimum RAM on a 32 bit system by upstream.

Most of my 32-bit Xeons here have 1.5GB or more RAM, and most Xeons from that timeframe would have shipped with 1GB minimum (I don't think my lowest end Xeon, a Dell PE1600SC, was even available at the time with less than 1GB).