[CentOS] ssh port forwarding

Ski Dawg centos at skidawg.org
Fri Jul 13 18:55:04 UTC 2012

Hello Mike,
On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 7:45 PM, SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Doug,
>
> It's also possible to send ssh to the background and also skip remote
> commands (perfect for tunneling).
>
> Options for ssh command:
> -f  .......... background
> -N ......... skip remote commands

I think these were the options that I was missing. I was able to create the
tunnel, and get my prompt back (so it will work within a script), without a
screen session. Thanks for this tip.

> ** Personally I'd look for a more robust tunnel/VPN alternative. **
> 1) OpenSSH tun/tap devices - but this should really be used for a
> 'one-off' quick tunnel => requires root to establish, so it's not
> ideal for every situation! (think roadwarriors, etc)
> 2) OpenVPN - SSL VPN - software/application based - simpler to set up
> as a result
> 3) OpenSWAN - IPSec VPN - hooks into the kernel (netkey or klips)

Trying to get this connection over ssh is just a short term solution. We
will be setting up a vpn tunnel between the systems in the near future (but
probably still 2-3 weeks out), but I was needing to get something else
running before then. The ssh solution works for the short term, until we
have an opportunity to get the vpn working.

Thanks to every one for the assistance with this issue.
--
Doug