[CentOS] New /boot/message file?

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Sun Jul 15 17:22:11 UTC 2012

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> To: centos at centos.org
> From: Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] New /boot/message file?
>
> On 07/15/2012 07:10 AM, Keith Roberts wrote:
>> I've just updated my 5.8 box and there's a new kernel to be
>> installed.
>>
>> Looking at /boot/ directory I see this file called message:
>>
>> -rw-r--r--    root     root       80032 Mar 12  2009 message
>>
>> Can anyone twll me what this message file is for please?
>>
>> Is this a new grub or kernel file?
>
> [hughesjr at localhost boot]$ rpm -q --whatprovides /boot/message
> redhat-logos-4.9.99-11.el5.centos.noarch
>
> [hughesjr at chakra boot]$ file /boot/message
> /boot/message: PCX ver. 3.0 image data bounding box [0, 0] - [319, 199],
> 8-bit colour, 300 x 300 dpi, RLE compressed
>
> This is the graphical image that grub uses when you boot. see this for
> details:
>
> http://www.centos.org/docs/2/rhl-rg-en-7.2/s1-boot-init-shutdown-booting.html
>
> NOTE:  This file is not new, it has been in /boot/ since the Red Hat
> Linux 5.x days at least.

Thanks Mogens and Johnny for your replies.

/boot/message is the Centos 5 logo that I see when
doing a fresh installation from DVD.

I have moved grub to a seperate boot partition, and I have
not noticed the Centos /boot/message file until now, which
is why I asked what it was.

When Grub boots from my seperate boot partition, it uses the

[root at karsites grub]# file splash.xpm.gz
splash.xpm.gz: gzip compressed data, was "splash.xpm", from
Unix, last modified: Tue Jan 27 22:38:12 2009

under /mnt/GrubBoot/boot/grub/

I moved Grub boot loader to a seperate partition to stop the
grub.conf file from being updated when there is a kernel
update. I like to change grub.conf manually myself, just in
case there are any issues with a newer kernel.

Regards,

Keith

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net