[CentOS] Can't get Grub work on clone of machine

Gregory Machin gdm at linuxpro.co.za
Tue Jul 17 00:11:55 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 2:21 AM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
> Yves Bellefeuille wrote:
>> On Monday 16 July 2012, Gregory Machin <gdm at linuxpro.co.za> wrote:
>>
>>> # chroot /mnt/sysimage
>>> # grub-install /dev/sda
>>> /dev/sda does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.
>>
>> Try this:
>>
>> mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sysimage/boot
>> mount -t none /dev /mnt/sysimage/dev -o bind
>> chroot /mnt/sysimage/boot
>> mount /proc
>> mount /sys
>
> What *is* mounted as /? If you've booted off, say, a USB key, or CD, that
> might be seen as sda, and the real h/d is sdb.
>
>      mark

Hi Mark.

Thanks for your input.
When I chroot to /mnt/sysimage the only hard drive listed is sda. Both
from "linux rescue"
 and chroot mount reflects the same drive / partition mapping  :
Rescue :
/dev/sda2 on /mnt/sysimage type ext3 (rw,data=ordered)
/dev/sda1 on /mnt/sysimage/boot type ext3 (rw,data=ordered)

Chroot :
/dev/sda2 on / type ext3 (rw,defaults)
/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw,defaults)

Thanks

Greg