[CentOS] Fwd: Bug 800181: NFSv4 on RHEL 6.3 over six times slower than 5.8

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Jul 18 18:31:55 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, July 17, 2012 12:28:00 PM Les Mikesell wrote:
> But the thing with the spinning disks is the thing that will go down.
> Not much reason for a network to break - at least since people stopped
> using thin coax.

Just a few days ago I watched a facility's switched network go basically 'down' due to a jabbering NIC.  A power cycle of the workstation in question fixed the issue.  The network was a small one, using good midrange vendor 'C' switches.  All VLANs on all switches got flooded; the congestion was so bad that only one out of every ten pings would get a reply, from any station to any other station, except on the switches more than one switch away from the jabbering workstation.

Jabbering, of course, being a technical term..... :-)

While managed switches with a dedicated management VLAN are good, when the traffic in question overwhelms the control plane things get unmanaged really quickly.  COPP isn't available on these particular switches, unfortunately.