[CentOS] Oracle UEK kernel on CentOS

John R. Dennison jrd at gerdesas.com
Wed Jul 18 22:09:14 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 12:03:47AM +0200, Chris wrote:

> I think they did a great job with btrfs and Oracle Linux for free.

Uh-huh.

OEL for "free" is a calculated move to poach yet more users from Redhat,
and in this specific instance, also _directly_ targeted at CentOS users.

btrfs on its own doesn't make up for a fraction of the ill-will they've
garnered in stealing users from Redhat by purposely undercutting Redhat
support costs.

Not only biting that hand that feeds you but tearing it off and then
beating you with it doesn't earn much good will.

Perhaps if they were actually putting out their _own_ distribution
instead of leeching off Redhat's work and then _making money off of it_
it perchance might be a different story.

							John
--
"Since every individual is accountable ultimately to the self, the formation
of that self demands our utmost care and attention."

-- A Bene Gesserit teaching spoken by Miles Teg in "Chapterhouse: Dune"
   by Frank Herbert