[CentOS] RAID card selection - JBOD mode / Linux RAID

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 22:44:16 UTC 2012

I don't know anything specifically about your RAID card or enclosures,
but I the following experience might help you nonetheless.

Some Dell PERC Storage Controllers (specifically PERC5i and 6i in my
case - which are LSI OEM I believe) there is no JBOD mode so I ended
up setting a RAID0 striped volume for each drive.  Then set up a Linux
softraid volume on each drive with mdadm to chain them together in
whatever RAID array type fits the job.

Hopefully the previous tidbit of information helps you.

That's going to really drag if you have to configure a RAID0 for all
48 disks ... it'd be much easier if you could directly communicate
with the drives.  I've set up at most five or six RAID0 devices on one
host and it's not particularly enjoyable!

Mike
//  SilverTip257  //