[CentOS] Fwd: Bug 800181: NFSv4 on RHEL 6.3 over six times slower than 5.8

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 17:19:47 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 12:06 PM, Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu> wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 18, 2012 03:31:53 PM Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Sure, everything can break and most will sometime, but does this
>> happen often enough that you'd want to slow down all of your network
>> disk writes by an order of magnitude on the odd chance that some app
>> really cares about a random write that it didn't bother to fsync?
>
> For some applications, yes, that is exactly what I would want to do.  It depends upon whether performance is more or less important than reliability.

I realize that admins often have to second-guess badly designed things
but shouldn't the application make that decision itself and fsync at
the points where restarting is possible or useful?    To do it at the
admin level it becomes a mount-point choice not just an application
setting.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com