[CentOS] Oracle tries to capture CentOS users

Craig White craig.white at ttiltd.com
Fri Jul 20 18:16:18 UTC 2012

On Jul 20, 2012, at 8:37 AM, Fernando Cassia wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 12:12 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>> No, you should pay us, says Larry, I need to keep my yacht and fighter jet
>> taken care of....
>
> Once again, the problem seems to be hatred of Ellison more than anything else.
----
some people object to Ellison and I would suspect that many more just don't trust Oracle as a corporation but there are some businesses that rely upon Oracle too.

I would suspect that few will actually switch from CentOS to OUL just because of their offer but it is just a re-spin of the RHEL, like CentOS and Scientific Linux so it's relatively easy to switch back and forth anyway. Oracle really doesn't care whether users install their OUL... they want to sell SLA's which they sell cheaper than Red Hat which has caused a rather sucky side effect which makes it more difficult to produce customized kernels which would never have happened had Oracle not chosen to ride the coattails of Red Hat and undercut the pricing (just another reason that some dislike Oracle).

Craig