[CentOS] Oracle tries to capture CentOS users

Hakan Koseoglu hakan at koseoglu.org
Sun Jul 22 19:22:23 UTC 2012

On 22 July 2012 20:02, Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com> wrote:
> On 07/20/2012 08:12 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> And I*love*  the chart... never mind that RH changed the build structure
>> to give Oracle pain, and it hurt us
> That change affects Oracle because they update and modify the kernel.
> Since it's not pristine + patches like other SRPMs, Oracle has a moving
> target and may need to manually fix each of the patches that they apply.
As I understand, that's not exactly true. They have two kernels, UEK
which is not even the same version as the upstream and the one that's
identical to the upstream. They don't have to follow every single
upstream patch and apply to theirs. I have the impression they have a
completely separate bunch working on their own kernel & modifications.
I might be mistaken...