[CentOS] Oracle tries to capture CentOS users

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 02:39:45 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 3:16 PM, Craig White <craig.white at ttiltd.com> wrote:
> they want to sell SLA's which they sell cheaper than Red Hat which has caused a rather sucky side effect which makes it more difficult to produce customized kernels which would never have happened had Oracle not chosen to ride the coattails of Red Hat and undercut the pricing

Well, if you see it the other way around, Oracle' s -and SUSE' s and
any other competition that might come along- help puts RHAT pricing in
check...

In the end what matters is if Oracle's kernel programmers are any
better at fixing bugs than RHAT's and if their support responds on
time or not.

For us end users with no support contract, the more heads and firms
that are involved in kernel dev and linux support, the better, more
chance of getting higher quality software.

I see plenty of patches/fixes to the Linux kernel by Oracle employees...
http://goo.gl/MqjCl

FC