[CentOS] Oracle tries to capture CentOS users

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 12:35:33 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 7:08 AM, Stephen Harris <lists at spuddy.org> wrote:
> Sorry, no.  The only consulting special code I ever used was X25-uucp
> on SunOS 4.1.x

Thanks anyway for replying. I lose nothing by asking every former Sun
employee I run across. :))

I once built a small mini-ITX AMD x86 box mobo with riser card and one
intel quad-port Ethernet card I picked up real cheap on eBay. At that
time Solaris7 x86 was just released so I bought it  (I still have it
boxed), My plan was to use that system as a bandwidth manager and
traffic shaper for my home LAN.

Sun BwMGR looked like a great product (looking at the spec sheet at
least ;), all I remember is the Sun guy whom mailed me the CD telling
me "you´ll have to use the command line to configure it" because the
¨damn GUI¨ (sic) was coded for Java 1.x and Java 2 (at the time) had
issues with it so allegedly Sun was in the process of ´re-doing it´.
Go figure.

In the meantime I moved and lost the install cd, so I didn´t even get
a chance to try it.

Anyway... I guess nowadays I could do the same with CentOS and some
piece of FOSS...

At the time, the only comparable product was one commercial solution
for Linux and BSDs that was not only very expensive but also
license-locked to the mac address of the adapter(s) used.... which was
very annoying.

It s been so long ago that I forgot the name...

oh yes, thanks Google... ETBWMGR .... they´re still around...
http://www.etinc.com/?p=69-ETBWMGR-Features

Well, Sun BWMGR was comparable to that. And apparently they killed
it... (then one wonders why Sun went under :-/, it wasn´t just
Microsoft -and they worked hard for that).

Afther Sol7 they bundled TCPIP QOS features  into Solaris (I wonder if
that code made it to OpenSolaris/OpenIndiana?) but I never understood
if the Sol9 QOS features could do the kind of traffic shaping on its
own without the cooperation of QOS aware routers on the LAN, as
SunBWMGR used to do.

Anyway, off-topic for this list... I know. Or not, if someone jumps in
with comments about traffic shaping on CentOS.. :)

FC
- George Orwell