[CentOS] Manual OOM killing?

Alan McKay

alan.mckay at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 13:36:09 UTC 2012

Hey guys and gals,

Yesterday I had one of my scientists kill one of my servers when his
program ran amok and gobbled up all the memory, or forked too many
processes, or I'm just not exactly sure what to be honest.

Is there something I can run manually in cron to look for rampant
programs and kill them?   I know that may be hard to discern but I
could also include a list if "known good" programs not to kill, as
well as a list of "known suspect" user IDs

Anyone ever done this?  Searching the list on "OOM" does not bring up much.

thanks
-Alan