[CentOS] problem with machine "freezing" for short periods

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Wed Jul 25 16:22:03 UTC 2012

On Wed, 25 Jul 2012, Vanhorn, Mike wrote:

*snip*

> I am stuck, and can't figure out where to even suspect the problem might
> actually be. There are no errors getting logged anywhere that I can find,
> probably because everything just "stops" temporarily, so there's nothing
> for the system to log.
>
> Does anyone have any idea where I could look to fix this? I think I am
> next going to go back to 5.2, where the pci=nommconf is necessary, because
> at least back that far it appears to have been working for other people.
> However, I really would like to have this running 5.8.

Hi Mike. Are you on 32 or 64 bits ?

If 32 bit you might like to take a look at this here, which
I compiled and packaged for Centos 5.5 32 bit - works on 5.8
OK as well:

Package Signing Key:
www.karsites.net/centos/downloads/5.6/karsites-GPG-public-key-2011-03-18.asc

32 bit binary RPM:
www.karsites.net/centos/downloads/5.6/qps-1.9.18.6-1.i386.rpm

Fedora 6 source code I rebuilt qps from:
www.karsites.net/centos/downloads/5.6/qps-1.9.18.6-1.fc6.src.rpm

If you click on the %MEM or %CPU headings, this will
toggle the sort order of the running processes by highest to
lowest and v/v for those headings - same applies to the
other headings.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites: