[CentOS] Can someone help with SpamBayes problem?

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Wed Jul 25 19:48:17 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 03:10:44PM -0400, fred smith wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 02:05:05PM -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> > fred smith wrote:

> > > it's a tar.gz. you unzip it and run "python setup.py install" which is,
> > > I gather, the normal way to install Python stuff (except, of course, for
> > > those things in a RPM or DEB or whatever package). As far as I can figure
> > > out by staring blankly at the code in setup.py, there isn't any (obvious)
> > > uninstall function.
> >
> > All I can suggest then is tar -tvfz file.tar.gz > filelist, then feed that
> > to find and exec rm {} \;
>
> yeah, I'm working on that. but it doesn't appear to be quite that
> simple. :(
>
> The setup.py proggie appears to do a bunch futzing around with
> creating/modifying files before squirreling them away in various places.
>
> I've grabbed from the screen a log of the things it says its doing, from
> which I hope to be able to derive the list of things to purge.

Mark, et al:

OK, that works. the installation generates a long list of actions, but in
the end there are only about 20 files installed, which simplifies things,
once one reads thru all the actions leading up to their installation.

having done that, I then re-un-tar.gz'd the archive for the oldest
version (the one I was originally running) and reinstalled it and it
is now working.

(I re-extracted it, because the installation process does its various
machinations in subdirs of the extraction's target directory and at least
some of it gets left in place afterwards, so I wanted to make sure it
was a clean install.)

whatta pain this was!

thanks for the sympathy and ideas!

Fred