[CentOS] DNS lookup delay with centos & postfix

Steve Lindemann

steve at marmot.org
Wed Jul 25 20:57:34 UTC 2012

I'm a bit baffled by this and I'm looking for ideas...

background:
two DNS servers (ns1 & ns2)(64bit CentOS 5.8)
one email server (64bit CentOS 5.8 & postfix 2.3.3)
one nagios server (64bit CentOS 5.8 & nagios 3.3.1)

situation:
- all servers configured to use both DNS servers for lookups
- ns1 server down for hardware problem
- nagios alerts that smtp on email server taking longer than 2 seconds
to respond
- nagios alert for smtp on email server clears when ns1 returns to service

- when I use dig from the email server command line there is no problem
or delay when ns1 is offline.  It worked without a hitch using ns2.

Anyone have any ideas for why nagios would have trouble testing smtp on
the email server when the primary dns goes offline?  I'm not even sure
where to look or who else would make sense to ask the question of on
this one.  I'd appreciate any insight anyone out there has on this.
--
Steve