[CentOS] problem with machine "freezing" for short periods

Vanhorn, Mike michael.vanhorn at wright.edu
Thu Jul 26 12:22:24 UTC 2012

On 7/25/12 11:24 AM, "m.roth at 5-cent.us" <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

>When you say "swapped the entire machine", what did you do?

I have two of them, and thinking it was the hardware on the one, I moved
the hard drive to the second, but the problem existed there, too. That
points to something with the software, but, well, I haven't found anything
yet.

>Also, what's
>running on them? Have you tried running top -d 10 or smaller (that will
>update the screen every 10 secs; I only recently found that current top
>allows tenths of a second.

I haven't tried top, but that's a good idea. I usually have one window
open that is running uptime every second in a continuous loop, mainly to
tell me when exactly it happens. Originally, when the problem was first
noticed, we had VLSI software being run on it, but at this point, the only
thing I have on the machine is the operating system, and I'm going through
my step-by-step configuration until I notice the problem occurring.

---
Mike VanHorn
Senior Computer Systems Administrator
College of Engineering and Computer Science
Wright State University
265 Russ Engineering Center
937-775-5157
michael.vanhorn at wright.edu