[CentOS] system-config-network-tui not part of base install... wtf

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Jul 26 14:50:03 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 11:42:44AM -0300, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 8:49 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
> > do not install servers if you are refuse to think
> > really!
>
> Why create GUI installers then?. Let's just package a tarball and let
> users unpack it manually.
>
> In fact, are you advocating for the removal of
> system-config-network-tui ? how about removal of all non-modal text
> editors like joe ? let's force everyone to "think" in 'vi'...

Unfortunately, according to folks who have more knowledge than I do
about these things, in later versions of Fedora, and therefore, probably
the next version or so of RH, just manually editing
sysconfig/network-scripts will overlook some necessary parts.
system-config-network-tui may wind up becoming necessary.   Through RH
5.x it was enough to manually edit the necessary files.

However, in later versions of Fedora, this may cause errors because
there will be some other scripts or files elsewhere, that
system-config-network-tui manipulates.  Meanwhile, Fedora is trying to
make NetworkManager the default interface handler, (and there is
apparently a command line version.)

I know I'm old and cranky, but to me, it just seems like those
meddlesome kids with their newfangled smartphones and touch screens are
taking over development, and that many of them just don't care about the
sysadmin portion of use.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Giles: What are you doing?
Willow: Oh. Sorry. The reflection thing that you don't have...Angel,
how do you
shave?