[CentOS] using ip address on bonded channels in a cluster

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Thu Jul 26 18:50:13 UTC 2012

On 7/26/2012 1:52 PM, Digimer wrote:
> On 07/26/2012 01:38 PM, Steve Campbell wrote:

>>> I use bonding extensively, but I always edit cluster.conf directly. If
>>> conga doesn't support "bond*" device names, please file a bug in red
>>> hat's bugzilla.
>>>
>>> Once the bondX device is up, it will have the IP and the "ethX"
>>> devices can be totally ignored from the cluster's perspective. Use the
>>> bondX device just as you would have used simple ethX devices.
>>>
>>> In case it helps, here is how I setup bonded interfaces on red hat
>>> clusters for complete HA;
>>>
>>> https://alteeve.com/w/2-Node_Red_Hat_KVM_Cluster_Tutorial#Network
>> Digimer,
>>
>> Thanks very much for the reply. I believe you had pointed out the link
>> to me before on a more basic query. It was very helpful in giving me a
>> real nice introduction to all the new stuff in Centos 6 for clustering.
>>
>> After reading this page once again, I think my question is not being
>> understood. It seems to be a problem of mine to not state those
>> questions plainly.
>>
>> In your example, you use a VM to move the entire server from one VM host
>> to another (or how ever you have that configured). That VM is a
>> "service" defined under the cluster and it carries the IPs along with
>> the VM.
>>
>> In my situation, my cluster consists of non-VM servers. The servers are
>> real, with an inside and outside interface and IPs. They become
>> firewalls by moving the external IPs and iptables rules as services. So
>> in my situation, I use "ip address" and "script" to only move the IP
>> addresses and start and stop iptables. The IP addresses would be bonded
>> channels, much like you do in your VMs.
>>
>> If I'm not mistaken, the parameters for "ip address" do not offer
>> anything like device or interface, so I'm failing to see how I can move
>> the IPs between nodes as bonded channels. Individual IP addresses are
>> not a problem. It works as expected.
>>
>> My network experience is not strong enough to know why I'd need a bridge
>> in my situation as well.
>>
>> Perhaps I should back up and consider VMs. The main problem I see there
>> is the time it might take to shutdown one VM and start another VM as
>> opposed to just moving IPs and starting iptables.
>>
>> I've still not attacked conntrack yet either, so there's plenty more for
>> me to do.
>>
>> Thanks again for your very helpful reply.
>>
>> steve
>
> Ah, ok, I think I get it.
>
> The ip resource agent looks for the interface that matches the managed
> IP's subnet, and uses it. So if your bondX interface has an IP on the
> same subnet as your virtual IP, it will be used.
>
> Think of a bonded network device like you would a traditional mdadm
> based RAID array. Say you have /dev/sda5 + /dev/sdb5 and they create
> /dev/md0. Once created, you only look at/use /dev/md0 and you can
> effectively pretend that the two backing devices no longer exist. The
> [...]

I'm not sure the gratuitous arp thing would work as effectively when
moving a VM as it does when moving an ip address. In the firewall
scenario, with conntrack running and gratuitous arp, there should be
little if any delay and little to no loss of connections to be transparent.

I'll try the bonded channel once I get some real servers running. For
now, I've just used VMs to ensure the IP and iptables move as expected,
which they appear to do. It'll also give be a chance to try some real
fencing, which I also don't use on the VMs.

Again, thanks for your documentation on how you did this all. You don't
realize how helpful it was in understanding the newer clustering
software. For the most part, all the examples I could find used the
older heartbeat.

steve