[CentOS] DNS lookup delay with centos & postfix

Robert Spangler mlists at zoominternet.net
Thu Jul 26 22:14:42 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 25 July 2012 17:47, the following was written:

>  I used dig from the email svr command line with the primary DNS svr up
>  and (naturally) it pulled from there as normal.  Then I downed the
>  primary DNS svr, saw the nagios check fail and tried again.  The same
>  dig lookup was actually faster and pulled from the secondary DNS svr
>  just fine.  And, again, the nagios alert cleared as soon as the primary
>  DNS svr was back online.

I believe the reason you noticed a faster response is because the second query
used the cached information from the first look-up not because the second
server is/was faster.

to verify this look at the TTL times in the response.

--

Regards
Robert

Linux