[CentOS] XEN or KVM - performance/stability/security?

Sun Jul 8 15:47:35 UTC 2012
Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik at iki.fi>

On Tue, Jun 05, 2012 at 01:50:30PM -0700, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 06/04/2012 11:36 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> >
> > Xen PV has been rock solid for me :)
>
> Maybe, if we ignore the fact that you seem to be familiar with the
> problem of xenconsoled failing and preventing guests from booting.

The el5 xenconsoled bug:

1) Affected only 32bit (i686) hosts running el5 Xen
2) It was fixed years ago on upstream Xen
3) It is already fixed in rhel5/centos5
4) It didn't affect 64bit (x86_64) hosts running el5 Xen
5) It was easy to workaround by killing+restarting xenconsoled

> > Xen is supported by Red Hat support in RHEL5.
>
> Yes, and RHEL5 will be supported for several years.  However, there does
> not appear to be a plan to support Xen in the future, after RHEL5
> expires.  It would be irrational to invest time and money into training
> on Xen with no expectation that those skills will remain valuable in the
> future.

There are other Xen-based virtualization solutions out there aswell with full support.

-- Pasi