[CentOS] Fwd: Re: kmod-nvidia?

Mon Jul 23 14:48:31 UTC 2012

Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 18:37:52 -0400
From: Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>
On Friday, July 20, 2012 05:30:14 PM m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Stephen Harris wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 04:44:07PM -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> >> Available Packages
> >> kmod-nvidia.x86_64                      295.59-1.el6.elrepo

> > Yes, and it showed up in your list...

> > Or am I missing something?
>
> Think so. That was from my machine, where it's installed months ago. On
> the user's machine, all that shows, regardless of whether I disable all
> other repos and enable only elrepo, or if I use all and enable elrepo, all
> I see under available packages is nvidia-x11-drv. Sorry if I pasted in
> stuff to confuse.

Whoa, Mark.  Man, you must be tired.  The fact that your machine with
the 290 driver only sees the kmod-nvidia for 295 and does not see
nvidia-x11-drv is a big clue.

You might want to double check the includepkgs= line on the machine you
originally posted about (not this latest machine), and make sure that it
isn't:
includepkgs=nvidia-x11-drv

I can duplicate this behavior very easily, and can duplicate the reverse
behavior as well, by manipulating the includepkgs= line.  Here's an
example run, from a RHEL 6.3 machine (same would apply to CentOS, just
with a few differences in the yum output dealing with the RHN repos....):
<MVNCH>
Works fine.

The includpkgs= line has to include all dependencies, as it really does
do what the man page says it does.  Try it without the includepkgs=
line, or with it commented out, and see if you get different results.

Thank you *so* much - this works. One oddity: originally, I'd had only
includepkgs=kmod-nvidia, *not* the nvidia-x11-drv. My last try, last week,
I'd added extra lines with that on two separate lines:
includepkgs=kmod-nvidia
includepkgs=nvidia-x11-drv

Just now, following your example, I put them on one line
includepkgs=nvidia-x11-drv kmod-nvidia

and it worked with no problem at all.

Odd.

And for the guy from the elrepo team, you'll note it was *not* an elrepo
problem, which is what I'd suspected, unless the repodata file's changed
since Friday.

        mark