[CentOS] Question about storage for virtualisation

Mon Jul 2 18:18:58 UTC 2012
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 11:23 AM, Stephen Harris <lists at spuddy.org> wrote:

>> > _TODAY_ (where I have an MMC card in my wallet that's almost 1000 times
>> > bigger than that old hard disk!) the rationale for a / and /usr split is a
>> > lot less.
>>
>> No it isn't.  There are still good reasons to not require unnecessary
>> stuff on your boot device in spite of the fact that you've managed to
>
> Your boot device can be (typically is) different to your root device.
> And even if you really meant "root" then this merger moves stuff _off_
> the root disk and puts it onto /usr.  Properly done /usr can still be
> a separate partition, if desired; initrd just needs to mount it.

You aren't done booting until you complete the init scripts for
runlevel 1.  Having to have an extra copy of the kernel on yet another
device to even get started seems wrong from a minimalist approach, and
the need for sufficient ram for an initrd even more so.  And you
really should be able to mount /usr via nfs while retaining
independent boot/diagnostic capability.

> So this proposal can make the root disk _smaller_ than it currently is.

What's the problem with just following $PATH?

--
    Les Mikesell
       lesmikesell at gmail.com