[CentOS] Good tool to draw server room?

Tue Jul 3 15:10:19 UTC 2012
Mark LaPierre <marklapier at aol.com>

On 07/03/2012 07:41 AM, Rafał Radecki wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I am currently designing a server room. I would like to be able to draw a
> 2D (in the future 3D) project. Do you know any tools? Which one can you
> recommend?
>
> Best regards,
> Rafal Radecki.

If you are working in Linux there are practically no 3D applications
available.  I've searched repeatedly over the span of several years but
never found anything really flexible enough to do any real work with.
There are some great options if all you want is art work.

If 3D is an absolute requirement you could try Medusa4.  Runs on CentOS
6.2 http://www.cad-schroer.com/  Medusa4, typical of all 3D CAD systems
that run on Linux, can render a 3D view of a 2D layout but has no 3D
layout capability.  By that I mean that there is no way to set points in
3D space and then connect those points dot to dot with lines and or
curves.  You're limited pretty much to orthogonal layout and drawing.

If you can live with 2D I recommend Qcad.  They have a free community
edition as well as a professional version.  I liked it so much that I
bought the commercial version.  http://www.ribbonsoft.com/en/  They are
near to releasing version 3.0.

I've been using Qcad to aid in the design of a geodesic dome for a green
house that I'm designing.  You want to look for an application that can
take commands from a command line, like Qcad can, not just by clicking
on icons.

--
     _
    °v°