[CentOS] Fwd: Bug 800181: NFSv4 on RHEL 6.3 over six times slower than 5.8

Fri Jul 13 12:12:06 UTC 2012
mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us>

On 07/12/12 06:41, Colin Simpson wrote:
> I have tried the async option and that reverts to being as fast as
> previously.
>
> So I guess the choice is use the less safe async and get file creation
> being quick or live with the slow down until a potentially new protocol
> extension appears to help with this.

The most aggravating part of this is when my manager first set me the
problem of trying to find a workaround, I *did* try async, and got no
difference. Now, I can't replicate that... but the oldest version I have
is still 6.2, and I think I was working under 6.0 or 6.1.

*After* I test further, I think it's up to my manager and our users to
decide if it's worth it to go with less secure - this is a real issue,
since some of their jobs run days, and one or two weeks, on an HBS* or a
good sized cluster. (We're speaking of serious scientific computing here.)

	mark

* Technical term: honkin' big server, things like 48 or 64 cores,
quarter of a terabyte of memory or so....