[CentOS] python 2.7 on CentOS

Sat Jul 14 20:45:34 UTC 2012
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 07/13/2012 09:26 PM, Digimer wrote:
> On 07/13/2012 10:10 PM, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Is python 2.7 available in CentOS 5.8 repos?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Kaushal
> It's not available in any centos repo. Red Hat doesn't update the
> version of anything in Enterprise Linux, beyond bug and security fixes.
> CentOS being binary compatible follows the same rules.
>
> If you want python 2.7 you will need to find a 3rd party repo or install
> from source.

Note that the main python version that ships with CentOS is critical to
normal operations, so if you want to also have a newer version of python
on there then you will have to install the newer version in an alternate
location and have it co-exist with the current version of python.

I can not stress this too much ... CentOS absolutely will not function
if you upgrade the installed python to a newer version, so make sure you
know what you are doing when installing a new version alongside the old one.