[CentOS] Oracle tries to capture CentOS users

Fri Jul 20 17:33:26 UTC 2012

Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 2:16 PM, John Hinton <webmaster at ew3d.com> wrote:
>> Meanwhile, if this is linux.oracle.com, shouldn't Oracle database be
>> included in the 'free version'?
>
> No, as IBM doesn´t make DB2 GPL either. It´s the big bucks from the
> fortune 500 proprietary products which pays -in part- for all the FOSS
> goodness like OpenJDK, Netbeans, Virtualbox, Glassfish, MySQL, Btrfs,
> InnoDB, BerkeleyDB...
<snip>

Um, there *is* a free version of Oracle. There are coded-in limits to size
- I know, because in '09, I was fighting to install and configure
spacewalk (*bleah!*), which *required* Oracle at the time, and the free
version of Oracle would only allow  a max mem of 1G, and just to make
spacewalk work, I had to up the default to something like 997M.

      mark