[CentOS] Oracle tries to capture CentOS users

Mon Jul 23 02:34:06 UTC 2012
Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com>

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 2:55 PM, Ken godee <ken at perfect-image.com> wrote:
>> Fernando Cassia wrote:
> Why don't they just continue to do something more useful
> like continue the support for "OpenSolaris"!

To be honest, it never had any traction. At least not down here. And
it goes back to the Sun days, pre-Oracle.
Back in 2006 and 2007 Sun spent a lot in marketing and was down here
at Linux events with a Solaris booth or offering CDs etc... nobody
paid much attention to them...

I think the market for Solaris is the big corporations that use it to
run on high-end Sun/Oracle hardware (mostly Sparc), and those prefer
to pay to have a commercial grade solution with support. My guess is
that ORCL thought that they'd never get any ROI over 'free' Solaris,
nor any sizeable market share gain wrt Linux...

While some features like zones and zfs are interesting, Linux has also
improved as of late to fill some of those gaps...

FC