[CentOS] Fwd: Re: kmod-nvidia?

Mon Jul 23 17:48:07 UTC 2012
Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>

On 23/07/12 17:48, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Akemi Yagi wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 9:15 AM,<m.roth at 5-cent.us>  wrote:
>>
>>> everyone knows that some other elrepo packages result in conflicts
>>> with the base CentOS repositories.
>>
>> Just to clarify -- From the ELRepo web site ( http://elrepo.org ):
>>
>> elrepo
>> This is the main channel and is enabled by default. As this channel
>> should not contain packages also present in the distribution, it
>> should be safe to run a 'yum update' with this repository channel
>> enabled.
>>

> Except that we don't want to replace or update the main repository
> packages, except in very, very special cases. That was why I allowed only
> kmod-nvidia in the repo. We do worry, since we've got 150 or so servers
> and workstations that I mostly do the updates on, and they shouldn't be
> some have, and some don't, except for an arguably special reason to be
> different than others. kmod-nvidia is the only one we have that meets that
> criteria.

Please stop spreading nonsense and read Akemi's reply above.

There is NOTHING in elrepo that conflicts with or replaces anything in
the base distro. That is a matter of POLICY as quoted by Akemi above.

If you believe there is a conflict between ANY package in the main
elrepo repository and the base distro, tell us and we will fix it
immediately.

We can't be any more clear than that.