[CentOS] Oracle tries to capture CentOS users

Tue Jul 24 19:52:25 UTC 2012

Gé Weijers wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Sun JDS Linux was damn good (included Java and StarOffice preloaded,
>> and a cool Gnome theme).
>>
>> I used (purchased!) both JDS Linux 2003 and JDS Linux R2.
>> JDS Linux R3 was in beta by the time the Solaris militia won the
>> internal battle / turf war and JDS Linux was canceled.
>
> A lack of paying customers had something to do with that too :-(
> I remember debugging bootstrap loader issues on JDS.
>
> Disclosure: I worked for Sun from 2000-2005, mostly on Linux-related
> stuff, e.g. http://sosc-dr.sun.com/blueprints/1103/817-4403.pdf
> It was a great company to work for while it lasted.

The first time I was doing sysadmin work was on a sparcserver, back in
'95-'97, and I really, really liked that box. I agree, it was a real
shame.

Btw, back when I was working on it, we ran into an error message that *no*
one has ever heard of before: we had a ton of young consultants, coding,
testing and debugging 12-16 hrs/day, and if a debug session hung, they
just killed the window. (They were on PCs running...mmm, I can't remember
if we were on Win 3 or NT, but we were using Hummingbird.) Late one night,
with a ton of zombies, another guy and I spent nearly an hour killing
zombies (which we could actually do), because in their debugging sessions,
they saw an error message that read "spider message" (and I forget the
rest of it).

Ever heard of anything like it?

        mark