[CentOS] system-config-network-tui not part of base install... wtf

Thu Jul 26 15:20:57 UTC 2012
Stephen Harris <lists at spuddy.org>

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 10:10:47AM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 10:03 AM, Stephen Harris <lists at spuddy.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 11:55:07AM -0300, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> >> My point being that if the networking stack is part of the base OS
> >> install, so should be system-config-network-tui
> >
> > No.  A "tui" is a pretty user interface.  It's not necessary for the
> > functioning nor configuration of the operating system; it's a "ease of
> > use" tool.  Nothing more, nothing less.
> >
> > In Other Words: it's an optional component.
>
> Yes, let's go back to the days of typing the boot code in hex to get
> the system started.   It's all optional.

That's a non-sequitor.

If anything, a "tui" _is_ closer to boot strapping by hand entering
hex.  It's a user interfce.  A modern machine doesn't need assistance
in booting.  If you do it properly it also doesn't need assistance in
network configuration.  It "just works".

If you were going to argue that "text editors should be optional by
this argument" then you'd have a really good point.  Indeed I might
agree with that.  Counter argument: at least one text editor ("vi"?)
is pretty much a BAU tool on every machine, so it makes sense to include
it.  system-config-network-tui is not a BAU tool; it doesn't fill the
same gap.

Remember the "E" in RHEL.  Es (in my place we have around 40,000 RHEL
installs) configure networking during the build phase.  Our standard
install doesn't include this unnecessary component.

--

rgds
Stephen