[CentOS] system-config-network-tui not part of base install... wtf

Thu Jul 26 15:37:33 UTC 2012
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 12:20 PM, Stephen Harris <lists at spuddy.org> wrote:
>> Remember the "E" in RHEL.  Es (in my place we have around 40,000 RHEL
>> installs) configure networking during the build phase.  Our standard
>> install doesn't include this unnecessary component.
>
> OK I'm a SOHO with a single server trying to setup a VM.
> What you're saying is that RHEL/CentOS should not care about my needs
> because there's a Good Reason(TM) for the way things currently are.

Basically, small environments will/should have DHCP service so you
don't do individual interface configuration at all (or you configure
the DHCP server to give a known IP to your MAC address if you need
that) and larger ones will need something that can be automated.  So
even though I agree with you strongly that there should be a simple
text mode fill-in-the-form way to set up an interface that hides the
magic OS-specific script hints, I understand why nobody considers it
important.   So my practical advice is to get a SOHO router that does
DHCP if you don't already have one, and if you do have one, configure
it to give out the IP you want instead of fighting with the Centos
setup.

--
    Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com