[CentOS] problems installing parted tool

Bob Hoffman bob at bobhoffman.com
Fri Jun 1 14:36:38 UTC 2012

On 6/1/2012 4:34 AM, Jane Wayne wrote:
> i have downloaded the CentOS distribution that comes with Xen Cloud
> Platform (XCP) at http://www.xen.org/download/xcp/index.html. i am
> trying to install the parted utility.
>
> yum install parted
>
> however, i get the following message.
>
> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
> Setting up Install Process
> No package parted available.
> Nothing to do
>
> any ideas on what's going on?
>
> i have the following files:
>
> /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo
> /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Media.repo
> /etc/yum.repos.d/Citrix.repo
>
> the CentOS-Base.repo has the following.
>
> [base]
> name=CentOS-$releasever - Base
> mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=os
> #baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/os/$basearch/
> gpgcheck=1
> gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5
> exclude=kernel-xen*, *xen*
> enabled=0
>
> #released updates
> [updates]
> name=CentOS-$releasever - Updates
> mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=updates
> #baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/updates/$basearch/
> gpgcheck=1
> gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5
> exclude=kernel-xen*, *xen*
> enabled=0
>
> #packages used/produced in the build but not released
> [addons]
> name=CentOS-$releasever - Addons
> mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=addons
> #baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/addons/$basearch/
> gpgcheck=1
> gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5
> enabled=0
>
> #additional packages that may be useful
> [extras]
> name=CentOS-$releasever - Extras
> mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=extras
> #baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/extras/$basearch/
> gpgcheck=1
> gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5
> enabled=0
>
> #additional packages that extend functionality of existing packages
> [centosplus]
> name=CentOS-$releasever - Plus
> mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=centosplus
> #baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/centosplus/$basearch/
> gpgcheck=1
> enabled=0
> gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5
>
> #contrib - packages by Centos Users
> [contrib]
> name=CentOS-$releasever - Contrib
> mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=contrib
> [...]

When I do a search on the centos base repos this is what I get.

[root at main ~]# yum search parted
Loaded plugins: downloadonly, fastestmirror, security
epel/metalink                                            |  12 kB     00:00
  * base: ftp.linux.ncsu.edu
  * epel: mirror.hiwaay.net
  * extras: mirror.cs.vt.edu
  * rpmforge: mirror.us.leaseweb.net
  * updates: centos.digitalcompass.net
base                                                     | 3.7 kB     00:00
extras                                                   | 3.5 kB     00:00
rpmforge                                                 | 1.9 kB     00:00
updates                                                  | 3.5 kB     00:00

============================= N/S Matched: parted
pyparted.x86_64 : Python module for GNU parted
parted.i686 : The GNU disk partition manipulation program
parted.x86_64 : The GNU disk partition manipulation program
parted-devel.i686 : Files for developing apps which will manipulate disk
                   : partitions
parted-devel.x86_64 : Files for developing apps which will manipulate disk
                     : partitions

   Name and summary matches only, use "search all" for everything.
[root at main ~]#