[CentOS] unfsd scalability issues

John R. Dennison jrd at gerdesas.com
Sat Jun 2 18:50:34 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jun 02, 2012 at 10:59:13AM -0400, Boris Epstein wrote:

> A process implemented in the userland may not be as efficient as one
> implemented as part of the kernel - but that doesn't mean it can't scale
> well, does it?

Depends on ones definition of scale I suppose.  I consider efficiency
and performance one factor of scaling.  To be completely honest about
this I must admit that I've not spent a lot of time benchmarking any
user space implementation in a large deployment but I wouldn't expect
performance to ramp up based on scale.

I've always had a strong aversion to file systems implemented in
user space versus kernel space as I've (personally) never found such an
implementation that had what I considered good performance.

My needs, however, are not yours.  If your requirements give you leeway
for higher latency and slower overall performance perhaps a userland
file system will work perfectly fine for you.  As with all else in the
IT sector use what works best for you :)

							John
--
Human beings hardly ever learn from the experience of others.  They learn;
when they do, which isn't often, on their own, the hard way.

-- Robert Heinlein (1907-1988), American science fiction writer, Time
   Enough for Love (1973)