[CentOS] Upgrading FC2 to CentOS 5.* - anyone second this? - general report

Max Pyziur

pyz at brama.com
Sun Jun 3 16:55:10 UTC 2012

> On Wednesday, May 30, 2012 02:56:24 PM Max Pyziur wrote:
>> My hope is to upgrade; that way I don't have to change/specify partition
>> topology, and hopefully only minimally adjust the existing
>> configurations.
>
> I have tried this type of upgrade before; I have not had it go well for
> the most part.  The only way I'd try to do an FC2 to C5 upgrade is by
> incrementally upgrading up to FC4 or FC5 using install media, then boot
> the C5.8 install media with 'upgradeany'.  It may break things very badly.

Just to advise the general readership. I downloaded iso's for FC3, FC4,
FC5 DVD install discs, and their accompanying rescue CDs.

The machine under consideration is old by contemporary standards (a
PIII-1400 w/ 1.5GB RAM, and three discs, one 2TB in size generally used to
store backups.

The FC2->FC3->FC4-FC5 upgrades were done in about three hours; the time
was split between checking the integrity of the DVDs and CDs and the
upgrade. Today, I did the FC5->CentOS5.8 upgrade.

In each phase, the machine booted and functioned.

I recognized the postgresql issue you mention further in your posting;
I've been through something like that several times, so I know how to work
through it.

All-in-all, this has been easy; nothing like the FC14-FC15 DVD upgrade on
my desktop that froze that I did two weeks ago (there, I spent a very
large amount of time unraveling dependency issues and package
duplications). I hope to do other FC upgrades in the spirit of being
current, but I anticipate that it won't be as easy as the FC2 -> CentOS5.8
has been so far.

I recognize that most of the comments were from sysadmins, more involved
in managing server farms, and steeped in that knowledge/experience base.

Much thanks to thoughtful comments and cautions,

fyi,

Max Pyziur
pyz at brama.com