[CentOS] 75% - 80% Rebuild Complete

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 15:15:26 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Gene Poole <gene.poole at macys.com> wrote:

> 3.      During the installation I instituted software raid-1 along with
> LVM.  It all worked perfectly until I got to the Boot Loader screen and
> instead of using the default (/dev/sda) I used what I thought would work
> in a raid-1 environment IF one of the hard drives went bad.  I chose to
> install the boot loader in /dev/md0.  Of course it would not boot.  I
> recovered from this by going through the install and choosing to upgrade a
> existing installation and it allowed me to place the boot loader in
> /dev/sda.  What that leaves me with is a raid-1 environment that works
> great as long as /dev/sda remains.  How do I fix that???

The MBR isn't mirrored, so you just have to install grub on the other
drive, usually by executing grub, then:
grub> root (hd1,0)
grub> setup (hd1)
but the numbers depend on how bios sees the alternate drive when the
primary dies.   It is always a good idea to practice re-installing
grub from an install disk booted in rescue mode so you know how to fix
things even if you have to move your mirror disk into the primary
position to make it boot.

> 5.      I'm still trying to decide if I want a high resolution text screen
> (that I would use almost everyday) or a high resolution GUI screen (that
> I'll only use for certain application installs)???

If you sit at the machine, you probably want a high res gui and to do
text work in terminal windows.  If you don't sit at the machine you
probably don't even want X installed for the console.  Run freenx for
occasional (or even regular) remote GUI access, or use ssh with X
forwarding for single GUI applications at a time.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com