[CentOS] 75% - 80% Rebuild Complete

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 22:48:29 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:

> In older versions sdb would become sda, but I don't have enough time on the 6
> series to know for sure... Maybe I will fire up a virtual machine with a
> couple emulated sata drives and see....

Sda/sdb are the kernel's conventions.  What matters is what bios sees.
 And that may be different depending not only on the hardware but also
the failure mode - sometimes a drive will fail but not really
disappear from detection and it is hard to emulate that.  Also, back
in ATA days it was pretty common for a failed drive to lock both
channels on the controller.

As long as you have physical access to the box you can fix it fairly
quickly by booting a rescue iso and re-installing grub, even if you
have to try a couple of times to get it right.

--
  Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com