[CentOS] Error dovecot restart

Shiv. Nath prabhpal at digital-infotech.net
Mon Jun 11 14:09:15 UTC 2012

On 6/11/12 10:05 AM, Muhammad A. Fatahna wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> i have a problem when install dovecot on CentOS 5, below my configuration
>
> [root at mail home]# vim /etc/dovecot-sql.conf
> driver = mysql
> connect = host = localhost dbname=postfix user=mail password=password
> default_pass_scheme = PLAIN
> password_query = SELECT password FROM mailbox WHERE username = '%u'
>
> [root at mail home]# vim /etc/dovecot.conf
> log_path = /var/log/dovecot.log
> auth_username_format = %Lu
>
> passdb sql {
> args = /etc/dovecot-sql.conf
> }
>
> userdb static {
> args = uid=501 gid=501 home=/home/vmail/%d/%n
> }
>
> [root at mail home]# service dovecot restart
> Stopping Dovecot Imap:                                     [FAILED]
> Starting Dovecot Imap: Error: Can't write to log directory /var/log:
> Permission denied
> Fatal: Invalid configuration in /etc/dovecot.conf
>                                                             [FAILED]
>
> i have try searching but i don't see step fix it,

Hi, it seems that you want to read user & pass info from the MySQL DBMS.
Problem 1 seems to be permission issue, since it cannot write.
Problem 2 is misconfiguration related mysql with dovecot. SEE RED TEXT
because it is working, i have the following in "/etc/dovecot.conf" and
"/etc/dovecot-sql.conf", that concern to authentication. Either you have
not provided the full information or cross check your configuration.
configuration is missing that i feel.

*" /etc/dovecot.conf"*
> passdb sql {
>          args = etc/dovecot-sql.conf
>    }
>
> userdb sql {
>          args = /etc/dovecot-sql.conf
> }

*## Authentication processes*

auth_username_chars =
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ01234567890.-_@
auth default {
mechanisms = plain login

passdb sql {
         args = /usr/local/etc/dovecot-sql.conf
   }

userdb sql {
         args = /usr/local/etc/dovecot-sql.conf
}
*

" /etc/dovecot-sql.conf"*

driver = mysql
connect = host=localhost dbname=postfix user=postfix password=your_pass_word
default_pass_scheme = MD5
password_query = SELECT password FROM mailbox WHERE username = '%u'
*user_query *= SELECT maildir, 125 AS uid, 125 AS gid,
CONCAT('*:messages=10000:bytes=', quota) AS quota_rule FROM mailbox
WHERE username = '%u' AND active = '1'