[CentOS] Failing Network card

Gregory P. Ennis PoMec at PoMec.Net
Wed Jun 20 15:09:16 UTC 2012

<snip>
>> Some additional information that may be useful.  The TrendNet card is
>> the second TrendNet card I have used.  The first card had the same
>> symptoms, and I deduced the card was bad, and purchased another one. The
>> symptoms are the same with the second card.
> <snip>
> Several questions: do you have another machine on the same network? Does
> *it* show the problem, around the same time?
>
> And, finally, did you buy both TrendNet cards from the same vendor? Are
> their MACs close? If so, it could be the vendor got a bad batch, either
> OEM's fault, or the gorilla who un/loaded it during shipping.
>
> I have several machines on that network, and only one machine is having
> the problem.  The machine is being used as a mail server, web server,
> and gateway for the network.  After this problem surfaced with the
> failure of the eth4 card (internal network), I created a gateway out of
> one of the other machines that is working without incident.

Good deal.

> I did purchase both TrendNet Cards from Fry's.  Fry's was good about
> taking the first one back without question, but now that the second one
> has failed, I thought it best to look deeper.  I don't have the previous
> card's MAC address, but my first thought was that this was a bad card

Ah, but you should in your logs, or - if you're running 6.2 - possibly in
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistant-net.rules.

> too. Both the first and second cards did not appear to have any damage
> on the boxes or the card itself.  Before I tried to get a third card
<snip>

In that case, sounds like the OEM had a q/c problem.

     mark

Mark,

That's interesting.  Here are the log entries for the previous card as
well as the eth4 that is currently installed.

# PCI device 0x10ec:0x8168 (r8169)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:e0:b3:10:f6:81", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth3"

# PCI device 0x10ec:0x8168 (r8169)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:e0:b3:10:fc:6e", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth4"

Looks like addresses are close.

Greg